- Storage White Papers
From the monthly archives: September 2008
Yesterday was probably the worst day for the credit crunch and the global problems being experienced by banks. Recession is biting and without a doubt many companies are looking at how they can reduce their storage costs.
Reducing costs doesn’t mean buying new hardware. Ask yourself some searching questions. Am [...]Continue Reading This Post →
A while back I mentioned a meeting I’d had with HP regarding Green IT (and in my case specifically storage). As part of the discussion, I asked Lucio Furlani (VP for Marketing in TSG) if we could have Power Calculations for HP storage.
Well, true to their word, HP promised [...]Continue Reading This Post →
Remember when EMC offered a fabric-based storage virtualisation product called InVista? Apparently they still do, as a customer of mine mentioned recently. Unfortunately they had trouble getting any sort of decent reference site for the product and weren’t that impressed.
I had a quick check on EMC’s site and the last press release for the [...]Continue Reading This Post →
Have you ever thought of renting out your hard drive?
So here’s the problem. Everyone needs backup. Most people are too lazy or inept to perform backups regularly. There are tools out there to use. There are online tools too which will help with the problem – but there’s also a fee for using them [...]Continue Reading This Post →
The latest casualty of the credit crunch is Lehman Brothers who have filed for Chapter 11 Bankrupcy protection. See the report here from the BBC.
I worked for Lehman in the UK for a short period about 4 years ago. If their banking operations was run anything like IT, then [...]Continue Reading This Post →
I’m currently working on a project which is investigating Cisco WAAS deployments and I’m looking to validate successful deployments of the Cisco products in a geographically distributed environment.
Has anyone done this recently? More pertinent, is anyone prepared to share their experiences with me (in confidence if necessary)?
_uacct = “UA-1104321-2″;
On 10 September, 2008 By Chris M Evans
- Netapp: The Inflexibility of Flexvols (12,301)
- Windows Server 2012 (Windows Server “8″) – Storage Spaces (11,466)
- Enterprise Computing: Why Thin Provisioning Is Not The Holy Grail for Utilisation (9,667)
- Comparing iSCSI Targets – Microsoft, StarWind, iSCSI Cake and Kernsafe – Part I (7,500)
- Windows Server 2012 (Windows Server “8″) – Virtual Fibre Channel (7,371)
- Review: Compellent Storage Center – Part II (7,331)
- Why Does Microsoft Hyper-V Not Support NFS? (6,724)
- How To: Enable iSNS Server in Windows 2008 (6,273)
- Data ONTAP 8.0 – Part III (5,748)
- How Many IOPS? (4,706)
- Comparing and Contrasting All Flash Arrays – All Vendors (61)
- XtremIO: What You Need to Know (Updated) (12)
- Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform: Optimised Architecture (9)
- Reinventing The Storage Array and Learning From Blackblaze (9)
- Quick Thought: Gartner SSD Market Analysis (7)
- The Virtual Machine is a Legacy Construct (7)
- Enterprise Computing: Why Thin Provisioning Is Not The Holy Grail for Utilisation (7)
- Black Friday Comes Early for Violin (6)
- Comparing iSCSI Targets – Microsoft, StarWind, iSCSI Cake and Kernsafe – Part I (6)
- Choosing Between Monolithic and Modular Architectures – Part II (6)