- Storage White Papers
From the monthly archives: July 2008
As previously discussed I’ve been gradually moving data over to my Drobo. I recently invested in a DroboShare, which lets me share the contents of the Drobo as NAS.
Although I run my data through a Windows Server, I have been toying with the idea of having a large majority [...]Continue Reading This Post →
The Register has reported that some UK banks are forcing their contractors to take a 10% pay cut or take a hike. It is usual for contractors to take the hit first as they are an easy target compared to terminating permanent staff and to be fair, as a contractor/consultant [...]Continue Reading This Post →
I use Feed Demon to track all of my RSS subscriptions. The product integrates with Newsgator online and now with the iPod Touch. The benefit of having an online location for synchronising my feeds means I can run multiple Feed Demon copies from the different laptops I use on a [...]Continue Reading This Post →
The BBC reported today of the next stages of the government and record companies’ attempts to crack down on illegal file sharing. Persistent offenders will have their internet connections cut off. Unfortunately, the genie is out of the bottle in terms of the ability for [...]Continue Reading This Post →
Last week I posted about wasted hard drives, removed from arrays and crushed to prevent the leak of sensitive data.
I contacted HGST and Seagate to get some additional background. Here are their responses, slightly edited to correct any spelling mistakes but otherwise intact.
(a) when will the [...]Continue Reading This Post →
Infoworld have a great article here discussing how to save money on storage in these tight times we are experiencing. Here’s a summary – with my opinions of course!
Play Hardball with Vendors. Ah if it was only that simple. It may be possible to find another vendor selling hardware [...]Continue Reading This Post →
- Netapp: The Inflexibility of Flexvols (12,289)
- Windows Server 2012 (Windows Server “8″) – Storage Spaces (11,446)
- Enterprise Computing: Why Thin Provisioning Is Not The Holy Grail for Utilisation (9,655)
- Comparing iSCSI Targets – Microsoft, StarWind, iSCSI Cake and Kernsafe – Part I (7,479)
- Windows Server 2012 (Windows Server “8″) – Virtual Fibre Channel (7,347)
- Review: Compellent Storage Center – Part II (7,317)
- Why Does Microsoft Hyper-V Not Support NFS? (6,713)
- How To: Enable iSNS Server in Windows 2008 (6,266)
- Data ONTAP 8.0 – Part III (5,743)
- How Many IOPS? (4,694)
- Comparing and Contrasting All Flash Arrays – All Vendors (55)
- What EMC Should Have Done With VNX (7)
- Netapp: The Inflexibility of Flexvols (5)
- The Virtual Machine is a Legacy Construct (5)
- Reinventing The Storage Array and Learning From Blackblaze (5)
- Black Friday Comes Early for Violin (4)
- What is EMC’s Project Nile? (4)
- How Many IOPS? (4)
- Choosing Between Monolithic and Modular Architectures – Part II (4)
- How To: Enable iSNS Server in Windows 2008 (3)